Thursday, January 8, 2015

Glass Lotus Window

This is Glass

It measures 24" X 24"


Just finished today, I've been wanting to do a lotus flower for awhile and went ahead and splurged on the pink glass. Pink is one of the more expensive colors to use because of the metals used in making the glass. Each color has a different chemical makeup and thanks to advancements in the glass production we can now fuse these colors together creating endless effects. Here is the lotus flower in my wooden screen which I use for shows. These glass panels can be framed into a window space, framed as you would frame a stained glass piece and hung or hung on a wall using standoffs.


 The beauty of these pieces is they will change throughout the day as the lighting changes. I remember the affect stained glass had on me when I was growing up. The colorful light cast always captured my attention.



The inspiration for the lotus flower comes from one of my trips to Bali. In Ubud I went to a gorgeous lotus garden with huge ponds and ate lunch sitting and admiring all the beautiful blooms. The lotus is used as a symbol all over the place today. It has long been considered a symbol of purity, rebirth and divinity.  In My own experience, I find that when I am deep in meditation I tend to see a lotus type image blooming over and over again, similar to the way a kaleidoscope moves. I believe that each of our chakras function this way, like a lotus flower opening. Just for fun, try and feel a blooming of energy where your third eye would be as I've described the next time you sit quietly. 

Here is the Lotus flower in the kiln before I took it out. You can see that when it is directly on a surface, the appearance has changed. 

You can find out more about me and my work at my website. 

6 comments:

  1. This would transform any room or area in which it is exhibited. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That lotus glass window truly captured my attention. It's so beautiful, Kendra! I can just imagine how much more beautiful it will look when the glass catches light. I'm sure it will be such a wonderful scenery. You did an amazing job there! Thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best to you!

    Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback!!! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I truly love that glass window! I am also amazed at how good you are in drawing a seeminlgy plain subject for your art, but always turning out lovely. No doubt that it will look more beautiful once shed by the lighting from the outside. Thank you so much for sharing with us, Kendra! :)

    Doug Lowe @ M & M Glass

    ReplyDelete